What is it?
Botetourt County’s Comprehensive Plan is a broad statement of community goals and policies that direct the orderly and coordinated physical development of the County. The Comprehensive Plan anticipates change and provides specific guidance for future growth and administrative actions, generally over the next 20 years.
Why is it important?
Having a visionary and up-to-date Comprehensive Plan is critical to the long-term success of the County. It is the guiding document that County agencies, residents, employers, developers and other stakeholders use to ensure that the community evolves in line with our collective vision for the future. Further, the Comprehensive Plan:
- Shapes the places we live, work, shop and play.
- Guides the public services, infrastructure, and capital investments
- Guides the use, density, and design of buildings within the County, directly shaping the community’s physical form as it changes and develops in the future.
- Complete Document
- Table of Contents
- Land Use
- Cultural and Environmental Resources
- Community Facilities and Services
Note: *Hard copies of the new Comprehensive Plan are available @ $24.50 each, or on a CD for $12.
In the state of Virginia, it is required to review the adopted comprehensive plan at least once every five years. Therefore, over the next year, several chapters of the comprehensive plan will be updated to better reflect local trends and conditions. This will allow the County to continue planning for the future with confidence, accuracy, and sensitivity to the needs of the community.
Proposed Comprehensive Plan Amendment
Planning Manager/Zoning Administrator
Long Range Planner