Voters wishing to become a candidate should visit the Virginia Department of Elections website for appropriate candidate bulletins, forms and deadlines.
NOTE: Virginia does not register by party. All registered, qualified voters are eligible to participate in this primary.
NO EXCUSE ABSENTEE (Early) VOTING (In-Person or Vote By Mail)
As of July 1, 2020, Virginia voters are no longer required to provide a reason to vote absentee. All qualified, registered voters are eligible to vote absentee either in-person at the Botetourt County Department of Elections & Voter Registration office or by mail.
- Begins a minimum of 45 days prior to all elections
- Applications can be submitted up to one-year prior to any election
- Marked ballots must be postmarked by Election Day and received in the registrar’s office no later than 12:00 pm (noon) on the third day after the election (normally the Friday following the election).
- Marked ballots may be hand-delivered to registrar’s office during regular business hours and must be received no later than 7:00 pm on Election Day.
- Marked ballots may also be hand-delivered to the voter’s polling location on Election Day before close of polls at 7:00 pm.
- In-person No Excuse Absentee Voting at Dept of Elections & Voter Registration, 2 East Main Street, Fincastle during regular office hours
- In-person No Excuse Absentee Voting two Saturdays prior to all elections during regular office hours
- Deadline for in-person No Excuse Absentee Voting is close of business Saturday prior to any election
- Deadline for mailed absentee applications is close of business 11 days prior to any election
- Voters are encouraged to submit their application for a mailed ballot as early as possible to allow ample time for processing and mailing through USPS. Normal mailing time is 3 to 7 days to and from our office.
- Applications can be submitted online at www.elections.virginia.gov or via mail/email/fax using this form Vote By Mail Application
- Military and overseas voters are eligible to have ballot emailed (complete FPCA form https://www.fvap.gov/uploads/FVAP/Forms/fpca2013.pdf)